Imago Dei

This post was inspired by one posted by LivingPalm entitled "stirring up some Dust with Rob Bell". It began as a comment, and then, as I saw the way it was evolving, and the LENGTH of it, it became apparent there might be better ways to share what was tumbling through my brain. Some comments may make sense only in light of this post, so I suggest it might be a good place to start if you plan to continue. I should also assert, in fairness, that I have not seen the video, and that any description of Bell's thoughts or comments are secondhand.

I was thinking, as I read the description of popular culture toward the bottom of this post, of a commercial that floored me. The final phrase in the rather enchanting commercial, which I was watching on the big screen before a movie, was "Do what feels good." I'm sure you've heard the phrase as it's Coca-Cola's trademark phrase, but this was it's first debut, or, since I can't say I'm an avid commercial viewer, my first exposure to it. It's another blatant example of our self-centric culture. We are constantly pushed to be "true to ourselves" because we "deserve it;" because we're "better than [insert bad thing]." It feels so satisfying, but no one seems to take the time to examine the fact that it's absurd on it's face! "Do what feels good?" Do we really want a culture that operates that way? Thankfully, we are not quite there. I'd say, right now, that we are at the place where we expect others to Do what feels good... unless society has made the decision that we corporately disdain the act. In other words, the society is all-powerful. Popular opinion, politics, the media, Hollywood, these are our gods. No wonder we are plagued with so many social ills. If these things are the firmest footing we can hope for, we are in for a monumental spill.

The next thought that came to me, somewhat in counterpoint to my first, was a concept that CS Lewis talks about in "The weight of Glory." He suggests that if we could see each other in light of our potential, we would see creatures of such weight that they would beg worship or terror. I think that even though Bell's method may not be correct, and his conclusion may be flawed, he does serve to bring up a somewhat uncomfortable concept for Christians. We are far more significant than we might suspect.

We can be drawn into a cultural trap of seeing ourselves as some sort of mini-divinity. But, I think that trap is so effective because of the truth hidden within. We, in our true selves, are, as reflections of God, objects of supreme beauty, or, as corruptions of the same, objects of filth! (Please excuse the comma-mania... I had very definite feelings of delivery there.)

It's often hard from Christians to come to that place, because it makes us feel haughty or perhaps because it denies us the ability to excuse ourselves from living in a fashion worthy of that inheritance. I often eat in a lazy fashion, but when I became pregnant, and now that I am still breastfeeding, I pay much more attention to what I put in my body, because I know that I am affecting something far more important than my waistline. When I can remember that each of my choices has eternal significance, I am much more careful how I make them. Taking that a step further, if I can remember that I have eternal significance, then who I am - even beyond my actions - bears weight.

I think that last statement failed to convey my feeling. Let me restate: I said before that we might be objects of filth. The understanding of my ultimate value, my ultimate potential, makes the idea that I could distort that gift one of distaste. I conjure up images of souring, of degredation. It's a feeling similar to the one that is brought on by incest or rape... both situations in which something which ought to be one of the most beautiful human interactions is made dirty and shameful.

I'm sure this is taken in an entirely different direction than Bell intended, but while LivingPalm's point about Bell's failure to mention the Holy Spirit is well taken, it might be pointed out that for some reason, God allows me to turn down the advice of the Holy Spirit! Perhaps Bell should have said "...he must have faith in us because he leaves it [partially] in the hands of these disciples." As LivingPalm says "Words matter." I don't excuse his carelessness (I'll not assign malice) but in gleaning what truth may exist behind his words, even that tidbit should floor us. That we, like Moses in Exodus 32, might actually effect the actions of God, is astounding.

The moral of the story? What do I take away from this? My goal should always be to see myself as God sees me, but perhaps I am reminded both by CS Lewis and by Bell that I matter, that I am significant, that I am capable - and, I add (at least to Bell's comments), all because of my Creator; because of whose image I bear. Thank goodness that this is so. Thank goodness that my footing is firmer than that placed on the gods of society. Perhaps by keeping in front of me the image of the glory I was created for, I will be unwilling to compromise it.

Comments

Wonderful words, Lael. I'm going to read it again several times to "hear" all you are saying, but I didn't want to wait to comment. (by the way, thanks for the speedy delivery!)
I have a feeling that Bell did intend his words to be understood in this light you shed. The C.S. Lewis quote is perfect. And, perhaps, he chose his words in such a way to "jolt" his viewers toward the other end of the spectrum you illustrate with the Exodus passage.
I think one flaw in my post is that I've framed it as a review on only piece of Bell's work, and, in reality, I'm responding to a pattern he's demonstrated over several of his works.
Thank you for this post. I love the way God allows us to poke and prod his truths in community. It's another example of "two are better than one".
ian said…
I didn't know you were a blogger! sweeeeeet. Also, I liked your commentary on Tami's commentary on Bell's commentary. I saw the video, and I think you have made some really valid points here.

I especially identify with what you have to say about commercials, and feeling good, and what society tells us. I have often felt like the message we get is "do what feels good AT THE MOMENT, without worrying about any consequences."