What can I say?

So, as I’m starting out on this blogging thing, I realize that I am still sort of foreign to the idea. I’ve been ruminating over what to write next time ever since I posted my first entry… and nothing momentous has presented itself. So, I say to myself, “How do people write interesting and engaging things all of the time?” and it occurs to me that they probably don’t. I understand that this is supposed to be a place to express just, well, anything. It’s for whatever is on your mind, which is really why the concept appeals to me (as a person who always has a lot to say).

I think I’ve been treating this blog a bit like I treat the beautiful leather journal my husband bought me for Christmas just before we were married. It’s a beautiful, soft, leather journal with a feather stamped into the cover. It feels rich. It has nice, thick, lined pages, and a ribbon sash to hold your place. I love that journal… but I hate to write in it. I feel like I’m marring it. After having it for at LEAST a year, I finally came up with a good use. Every New Year I plan to write out a monthly summary of the year that has passed, a small look into what we’ve spent the last 12 months doing. I’ve so far done that once. It’s not just because I’ve not gotten around to it. In fact, I have written out the information for the last 3 years on loose leaf and stuck it inside the cover. The thing is… the year I wrote in it I messed up. I wrote in pen and had to put footnotes and write in tiny script to add things… you know how it goes… but as I said, I love that journal. I don’t want to have those sorts of things in this beautiful journal.

So, I have this romantic idea of a blog, and I don’t want to write dumb things, because it will mar my lovely concept. I guess I’m going to have to give that up… but, well, I like this entry, so not yet.

Comments