Falling on Grace

Well, here I am, blogging. I never thought this would be me. I never thought I'd have an interest in doing this. It's not that I don't like putting my thoughts down... it's that I never thought anyone would want to read them... and then it ocurred to me that it doesn't matter. I'll be writing this for me, and if someone reads it or profits from it... that's great.

Some of you may know the great song by Rich Mullins called "If I Stand." This is a reference to my favorite part of an amazingly well written set of lyrics (written out below this). It's an amazing and incomprehensible thing that we can fall on grace. How loving a Father we have that would put a soft, forgiving net under us to catch us when we least deserve it. I want to live in that knowledge every moment.


There’s more that rises in the morning than the sun
And more that shines in the night than just the moon
It’s more than just this fire here that keeps me warm
In a shelter that is larger than this room
And there’s a loyalty that’s deeper than mere sentiments
And a music higher than the songs that I can sing
The stuff of Earth competes For the allegiance
I owe only to the Giver Of all good things

So if I stand let me stand on the promise that you will pull me through
And if I can’t, let me fall on the grace that first brought me to You
And if I sing let me sing for the joy that has born in me these songs
And if I weep let it be as a man who is longing for his home

There’s more that dances on the prairies than the wind
More that pulses in the ocean than the tide
There’s a love that is fiercer than the love between friends
More gentle than a mother’s when her baby’s at her side
And there’s a loyalty that’s deeper than mere sentiments
And a music higher than the songs that I can sing
The stuff of Earth competes for the allegence
I owe only to the Giver of all good things

Comments

!JHwe said…
I really love this song. I love the outdoors, and it resonates with something deep. These are great lyrics to meditate on today. Thanks for the post.. Welcome to the world of Blogging.
HB said…
I find that blogging is a great outlet, and I love reading other people's blogs. I also love that song you wrote about. We used that in a drama production when I was in middle school, and I've liked it since then.
Glad you moved into the neighborhood!! I look very much forward to reading your posts. "If I Stand" is one of the first duets Brian and I ever sang together (way back in the day!) I always loved this line, too.